The vows below were taken from Thomas G. Pettepiece’s “Shakertown Pledge” in Visions of a World Hungry:
Recognizing that the earth and the fullness thereof is a gift from our gracious God, and that we are called to cherish, nurture, and provide loving stewardship for the earth’s resources; and recognizing that life itself is a gift, and a call to responsibility, joy, and celebration, I make the following declarations:
- I declare myself to be a world citizen.
- I commit myself to lead an ecologically sound life.
- I commit myself to lead a life of creative simplicity and to share my personal wealth with the world’s poor.
- I commit myself to join with others in reshaping institutions in order to bring about a more just global society in which each person has full access to the needed resources for their physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual growth.
- I commit myself to occupational accountability, and in so doing I will seek to avoid the creation of products which cause harm to others.
- I affirm the gift of my body, and commit myself to its proper nourishment and physical well-being.
- I commit myself to examine continually my relations with others, and to attempt to relate honestly, morally, and lovingly to those around me.
- I commit myself to personal renewal through prayer, meditation and study.
- I commit myself to responsible participation in a community of faith.